Monday, May 29, 2006

Chillout - my style

I have got a feeling this blog is boring. I barely talk about the interesting things in life, preferring to focus on the more mundane going ons in my part of the world. I guess if you do want to read something interesting, theres always The Sun to read. Or, if you hate Europe and think the French, Germans and the Spanish are after you, you can read the Daily Mail. Daryl and Ben told me they preferred the Guardian. I dont blame them, since their new "Berliner" layout and full colour pages, I was kinda drawn towards them. But then I discovered their anti-war stance and that cheesed me off.

Don't get me wrong, I dont really like wars. Despite my persistent support for pre-emptive strikes, draconian security measures and increased surveillance, I'm a nice kinda guy. But if I want to read the news, I'll buy a newspaper. That's why I like the Times, they're balanced, and they just report the news without giving much support to any side. If i want to read opinions, I'll read the Economist. And if I want to see Keely Hazel give an opinion about something, I'd read the Sun, probably the most pathetic newspaper ever published, after the New Straits Times.

You must wonder why I despise the New Straits Times so much, after all, theyre the only newspaper in Malaysia to syndicate Jeremy Clarkson's article on the Times every Sunday. They're also the biggest newspaper in circulation in Malaysia. Well, where do I start? First of all, the headlines. The headlines are important for a newspaper because for "swing-buyers" i.e, buyers who dont have a particular brand preference, the headline will catch their attention and they want to know more about it.

The Sun will usually have something about some popstar, or footballer "Roo the Hero!", while the Daily Star will have a half naked picture of a woman on the front page with a stupid headline like "Becks with New Bird!". The Times will have the most dour and boring headline - "Blair under pressure", The Daily Mail will have something along the same lines every day "Europe out to get us!" and the Guardian will have something to satisfy its generally liberal left wing readers "Blair spends money ought to be used for baby incubators". The New Straits Times however discards all this and does the unthinkable. It has more pictures to attract the headline, and sometimes they put in exclamation marks. Which is a cardinal sin if you want to be considered as a "serious newspaper". I cant remember what the headlines exactly are, probably theres too much to mention! But I remembered when I came back for summer, I just wanted to read a different newspaper, it was just silly.

The quality of the articles are dissapointing, for all I know they could've been written by a one legged bear, the argument is one sided and dont really have much in depth knowledge about what theyre writing about. Take their coverage on the run up to the Iraq war, for example. If they actually knew something about international law, they would probably cut down on the use of the word "illegal" and actually discuss on the actual legality of the war. Because, if you do some research, its actually more complex than that. There was a whole article covering the sensational discovery that two siblings won a colouring contest. I could probably get my cat chocoboy into the news by asking him to jump through a ring of fire.

Hmm...

Actually thats a good idea. May have to think about that.


Anyhoos, i am knackered today. Woke up fairly early and went to the gym. Got back, and for some weird reason found myself buying stuff to make fajitas. Turned out alrite, though I need to learn how to wrap the perfect fajita, and I need more guacamole. Unfortunately its only 8.30pm and I am struggling to stay awake. I am just too knackered, I'll probably fall asleep pretty soon.

Oh yea, I rented some DVD's from Blockbuster. I took the lame-ass dvd collection, 3 DVD's - 5pounds for 7 nights, so I managed to get "The Life Aquatic", one ive not seen before, "Hitch" one I think was pretty good, and "State and Main" an intellectually stimulating comedy (yea, i know i dont watch much of it). I borrowed "State and Main" in my third year, through Lovefilm.com, but I couldnt see the ending because the DVD was scratched. Suprise suprise, this dvd was scratched too and I gave up. Maybe I'm not destined to see what happens in the end. Who cares.

Righty ho. Im off. Good night ya'll. Will rant more as the week progresses.

No comments: