Thursday, May 11, 2006

My Linen Jacket and Me

today has got to be one of the days that are really unexpected. it started off with me waking up late (again), and going about my breakfast routine pretty much as usual. i decided to join nik later on, on one of his shopping sprees. (doesnt happen very often, and its not a spree as you might think he would have!) and then suddenly out of the blue i had a call from my friend. she asked me to teman her to marylebone, and being a nice day and all, i decided that yeah, i could do with a short diversion.

it was such a sunny day, the weather was warm, and really, there isnt any need for any jackets. but i decided that today ill wear my linen jacket. now, its not an expensive jacket, nor does it have anything special on it, but nevertheless i always err on the side of caution, ull never know when the weather might turn nasty.

we went around marylebone, and we had lunch at st. christophers place. at s.c.p, there was a girl handing out flyers for a fashion party thing. the pass admits two people to VIP entrance, for free. the girl somehow gave me 8 of them. i looked at the other tables around me, there was a young-ish italian couple, and to our left there was 3 guys, i would say probably middle eastern, and probably the kind of people that could be extras from 24 (they werent the jubah-wearing ones, but the kind that Jack Bauer would shoot at endlessly, he is, according to Ed's email, the leading cause of death in Middle Eastern men) . When we walked down the Tapas bars and the other alfresco dining places, none of em had the flyers on their table. I know its not a big thing, but I can only deduce two reasons as to why we got the flyers and they all didnt.

a) Lee looked stylish

b) My linen jacket.


Okay, I'm not going to blow my own horn. I know its not much of a big deal, but imagine this. You see a heavy-set bloke, with a shaved head, sunglass on top, wearing a white linen jacket. What do you think? Precisely.

Columbian Drug Lord.

the exact kind of guy you would like to have at your party. Whats even weirder was that when I was walking down regents st, my old friend Maria, who I've not seen since January called me up and said "I saw you at regents street, im on the bus that just passed you by!".

Now everyone can spot a Columbian Drug Lord from afar too!

Now things make sense. Sales people at selfridges or the other big shops dont look at me bad anymore. They offer me new and more expensive things to buy, even when i just walk around. Im given a carte blanche' to look, touch and feel more expensive stuff now. Would sir like to enquire about the diamond watch? Would Sir like to know more about the Mini Cooper Supercharged Works edition? Waiters give me better service, and somehow, i think this is all due to my humble, but smart linen jacket.

So remember, the clothes maketh the man.


But dress up as a Columbian Drug Lord, and the worlds your oyster. sort of.









p.s - i am not responsible if you are gunned down, ran over, or if you are suddenly arrested by the police.

No comments: