Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A Solicitors Letter

2 days ago i received a letter from Zaid Ibrahim & Co. with regards to my internship. Its dated 26th April 2006, but the postmark on the letter stated 3rd May. Im guessing there must be some kind of hold up or something because I'm supposed to send in the letter by 11th May. Oh well, heres what it says, and in italics, what they actually mean.

"We are pleased to inform you that you will be attached to the firm with effect on the 3rd of July 2006"

"We dont know how the hell you got this internship, but we're pretty desperate for someone to clean the floors for us. Our cleaner just left you see."

"During your attachment you will be paid rm200 per month subject you continue your attachment with us for more than a month"

"You must have nothing on your CV and therefore be desperate to be attached to us to even consider getting out of bed for that amount of money per month. One of the partners decided that itll be fun to see how long you last in the law firm, knowing you're paid less than the cleaners."

"Either party may , during the attachment period, give 1 weeks notice for termination of employment."

"If you screw up within a month, you're long gone. And you dont get that paltry rm200. We're lawyers, dont even try to argue with us. We'd spend it on some other dumb helpless unsuspecting intern."

"Our working hours are [given in the letter, im not going to write it down]..... however you are expected to work longer hours if and when neccesary"

"That serves you right for having the cheek to apply to our law firm. We'll work you like a slave and if we need someone to make us coffee, you better make us a damn good one because that rm200 is our Starbucks Latte money"


Sigh. I keep telling myself its for the experience, not the money. I can imagine what I'm going to do with my new-found salary. Its so pitifully low that when I asked my dad if he wanted a cut of it, he refused. I bet upon getting my sms the other day he was rolling on the floor laughing.


Experience. Im doing it for the experience....

No comments: